Friday, November 26, 2010

The Angry Drive Cabinet

The Angry Drive Cabinet




Have you had one of those days where the anger has built up in your brain to a point where you just need to get the hell out of “there”? I’m sure you can relate; everyone has been there. This project started this same way. Today’s ReuseThis is going to be a true story of anger, stress and relief (a little). So go pop your popcorn, grab a box of Kleenex and snuggle up to your loved one as you are thrown into the whirlwind of The Angry Drive Cabinet.



So, let’s start with the back story to how I started building stuff from dumpster building material. We had recently moved back to Winnipeg and I was working a high stress building material sales job as I could no longer work as a roofer with an arm that doesn’t work right. To get this job, I had come out without my family a month or more before and worked my ass off to find something that paid enough. Finally I found something, but the stresses of the last year (and not dealing with a lot of stuff from my past) came to a peak one morning at work. I began having all the symptoms of a heart attack and was taken to the hospital. They couldn’t find anything and after a couple weeks (that I don’t remember anything from) they figured it was all stress related and I was diagnosed with 4 different mood disorders; General Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Social phobia Disorder and Depression. Needless to say I couldn’t work any longer and my Wife began working fulltime, but for less money. Bills piled up and so did stress and the realization that Bankruptcy would be the only solution to our problems. To deal with my brain and my overwhelming anxiety and depression I began going through dumpsters and making things we needed at home and couldn’t afford. I found it to be very therapeutic and began to make it a regular thing to do. My older brother then came up with the idea of blogging about it as he thought some people may find it interesting. So ReuseThis was started. One frustrating day is where my anger finally got to me and I had to go for a drive. I jumped in my car and began driving aimlessly down alleys and back roads mulling life over in my head and feeling sorry for myself. Then I drove by an amazing site. Something that I had been hoping for as peoples need to throw wood away seemed to be at a low point. It was a pile of old end tables, shelves and an old window! I immediately felt a sense of purpose again and the ideas came flooding in. I took a couple end tables to use as is (cleaned up obviously) at home so they won’t make it on here, but the shelving and old window had a special purpose. I needed to build something nicer then I had and also something that would be useful in our house. After a few days of planning I had the idea of a cabinet with the window acting as the door. This project had more thought involved then any other and I believe that the finished product shows that. It has been a reminder to me of my abilities and creativity and most of all, it has reminded me that I am useful and that even things that seem to be garbage or broken on the outside can be turned into something beautiful and useful. To many, it’s just some cabinet, but to me it’s so much more. Please enjoy these pictures as much as I do and as my family and I move on into another trial, remember the hope it gives to me…



Thank you.



ReuseThis.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ryan, I love this cabinet so much. Not only because it looks so unique but because of the meaning it holds for you. You inspired me so much today. Love you, my kindred spirit.

Chelsea
xx