Friday, December 3, 2010

The Shed of Doors...

Welcome back!  Happy and flattered that you are back and reading this blog!  This weeks project was actually one of the first ones I made and probably the worst looking, but useful and pretty cool I think...if I could paint it that is...




When we moved into our duplex in Wolsely I had some (a lot) of cleaning to do, both inside and out.  First up was the back yard (which was mud and a bunch of old bricks and branches piled in a corner).  After digging a hole and making a fire pit with the old bricks which were piled in the back corner against the fence and burning the branches that were on top, I found a small concrete pad underneath all the junk.  I dug beside to see the size and if I could take it up, but after digging down almost 3 feet, I realized that this would not be accomplished and didn't really think much more of it.  When I finally got to the basement I found a few old doors that were sitting downstairs collecting dust and I couldn't get myself to throw them out.  That's when I remembered the pad in the back.  I took the doors and assembled them into a shed type building (that looks more like an old outhouse).  I had a couple issues though; no front door and how to assemble a roof.  The problem sat with me for a few minutes until I took to the alleyway that has given me so much good stuff.  First I found an old door with a nice window in it that I hoped would be the right size.  It was close, so after a quick cut off at the bottom of the door it was ready to go.  I still had the issue of the roof.  While I thought about it, I took apart the "deck" someone had decided to build with 4x4 posts as joists and 1x4s as decking (needless to say it wasn't very structurally strong).  I then realized I could use the 1x4s  on the roof...it wouldn't be water tight, but once I could find some shingles in a dumpster, it would be fine (I am still looking for some if you have any).  So I set to work and put up the roof and trimmed it with my circular saw and I had myself a little storage shed for a grand total of $0 and saved some space in the local landfill!

Thanks for reading and see you next week!!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Awww, it's so cute! The back of my van is full of shingles, I need them for weight. If you were here you could have them come Spring...

natasha said...

Looks even better with the snow hat on it.