Friday, November 12, 2010

The Stongarm

The Strongarm




Material: MDF

Found: Discarded boxes of dumbbells. The MDF was used to support the weight in the boxes. Found in Calgary.



The Strongest Endtable known to Man: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.



The water vapour was freezing in midair as the cold still air stole the warmth from Strongarm’s seemingly lifeless parts. Sitting on top of the crunchy, icy snow, Strongarm began to contemplate the dismal future he seemed to have before him. Trapped inside the boxes, unable to escape, he began to reminisce about his younger years living high up in the sportswear condos, overlooking the picturesque treadmills, and beautiful weight benches. Oh how wonderful it was, everyday waking up to the soothing music and the bustle of people rushing by to buy the happiness they thought they could have. He had heard rumours of the future of his race (known as “exercise equipment”); bought by humans and brought to their giant “houses” for a blissful life of lounging in closets and under beds, and in basements for the rest of their relaxing lives. Strongarm could only assume that the whole package was to have this life of luxury; the excitement filled his body from the outer skin of his box to his purple insides.



Finally the day came. Perfectly placed on the shelf he was chosen quickly and taken to what he thought would be his relaxing retirement. He was in for quite the disappointing surprise…



…That’s when I found him forlorn and disheartened sitting at the street, waiting to be taken to the landfill. I bundled him up and took him home where I was determined to make him useful again. At this point I had no cutting tools to do any cutting, but did have a compressor and some old used house paint I found in my parents’ basement. So the compressor was turned on, the brad nailer oiled and attached to the hose, and the glue ready to go. I took the 4 pieces of equal size and attached them to one of the bigger pieces and added the second large piece to back for support. I had measured out a DVD sized spacing on either side of the middle piece to get as much usefulness from the weight packaging turned endtable. Finally I filled any gaps and cracks with some filler and painted it with the paint I had found giving me my wonderful Strongarm End Table that I enjoy today.



Feel free to comment (both good and constructive)..



Thanks,



ReuseThis!